Monday, November 21, 2005

Houston Sports Media Market

11. Houston

2.0 million TV households

The original RSN in Houston was Home Sports Entertainment (HSE), launched in 1983 to carry Rockets and Astros games. I believe HSE was eventually acquired by Liberty, then rolled up into FSN Southwest in 1999.

As mentioned in my post on the Dallas market, the entire Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana MLB territory is shared by both the Astros and the Rangers. Viewers outside of the immediate vicinity of either city are able to get both teams games.

The same market area is also covered by the Stars, the only NHL team in the region. Houston has long been thought of as a potential NHL city, however, so time will tell if one of the smaller market teams eventually migrates there.

Reading from the Tom Hicks playbook on rights negotiations, the owners of the Rockets and Astros banded together in 2002 in the hopes of using their combined leverage to break from FSN to launch a new network. This was prompted by the Rockets being lowballed for their rights by Fox.

After making this announcement with several years left on the Astros contract with FSN, lawsuits ensued. In November, 2004, the teams finally agreed to settle with FSN and offer their combined rights for in an estimated $600 million deal over 12-15 years. A sideline to this deal was FSN's decision to carve out the Houston territory into FSN Houston with its own programming. This was not a major operational change for Fox, since they would split the Southwest feed on nights when both baseball teams were playing anyway.

Houston is also a stronghold of Big 12 sports, and FSN has plenty of local programming for college fans.

15 Comments:

At 1:28 AM, Blogger All the best to you! said...

Hello Karl Kaiser! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about aviation job search so I know I'm talking
about when I say yours is top-notch! Keep up the
great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please visit my site aviation job search
Best success!

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found your site.Please Karl Kaiser
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
Job Search Engine
It pretty much covers Job Search Engine related issues.
Have a good day!

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous franchise-for-sale said...

Hi Karl Kaiser, I was searching for the best information on new-franchise, and fortunately found your great site. Houston Sports Media Market is not exactly what I’m looking for, but it did get my attention. I see now how I found your page when I was looking for new-franchise related information. I sure am glad I stopped buy even though Houston Sports Media Market wasn’t what I was looking for this time. Great site, thanks!

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger James Baker said...

Hey Karl Kaiser, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
sport job
It covers sport job related stuff.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger mikefisher1298 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

 
At 5:28 AM, Anonymous gambling sports tipping and handicapping said...

Thanks a lot to Karl Kaiser for allowing sports enthusiasts to post information on sports handicapping baseball handicapping. Houston Sports Media Market is a great place to visit and we appreciate the chance to provide Free Daily Picks (1-866-Coach36) and a way to receive a Free Total Sports Consensus for Free! Free Trials available to all new clients also! Try us out! You'll love the information available for free!

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger lewisjackson6898144880 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

http://pennystockinvestment.blogspot.com

 
At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for blogs referring to Dallas and found yours. Great blog! I'm in Dallas and here's some info about me

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karl,

Are you still "blogging"
I noticed the last one was in 2005.
Why are you "infamous"? Do you have a personal email? I'd like to talk to you more about the different markets. My email is
rachelj95@aol.com.

Thanks!

 
At 4:56 AM, Anonymous games said...

Hey this blog is not about spyware

I have been doing hours of research on "DishNetwork" and it brought me to your blog on Houston Sports Media Market. Anyways, Karl Kaiser I was reading your blog and I think it is really cool. It’s really a pleasure reading your posts! Keep up the great work.

Keep blogging away :-)

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger imvg8canf49l said...

Get any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

"BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

Get everything within 2 weeks.
100% verifiable, this is a real deal

Act now you owe it to your future.

(413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your interested in setting up a limited liability company then please check out my formation llc wa site

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maqui Berry Review

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Subsidized Senior Housing

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You actually make it seem so easy together with your presentation
but I to find this topic to be really something which I feel I might by no means understand.
It seems too complicated and very vast for me.
I'm taking a look forward in your subsequent put up, I will attempt to get the hang of it!
Also see my site > Marc Primo Pulisci

 

Post a Comment

<< Home